Small rooms and spaces don’t have to go to waste. With a few simple tricks you can open up a room and make it your new favorite spot.
By Taylor Ness
No one likes to spend time in a room that looks like the size of a closet. Luckily, there are many ways to trick the eye with home décor.
The common rule of thumb is to stick to neutral colors when designing a small room, allowing the space to feel airy and open. Even keeping to a monochrome palate will make the space feel larger. But a room isn’t all about the paint. Even if you go with a bold, vibrant color base there are still ways to figuratively open up the space.
1. When it comes to furniture, choose pieces that can serve more than one purpose, like an ottoman with a tray placed on top.
2. Shelving that has a limited number of items on it creates the illusion of open space.
3. While it’s important to allow natural light into a room, adding curtains that are the same color of a wall can open up the room.
4. Strategically placed mirrors not only give the feel of the room continuing on, they allow light to bounce around the room.
5. If you choose to have wall art, pick one large piece.