From musical performances by famed artists to can’t-miss art exhibitions, here’s what you should make time for this month.
1. NPR’s From the Top is heading to Fairfax. This live recording event will include guest hosts Greg Anderson and Elizabeth Joy Roe as they introduce pre-collegiate, classically trained musicians and discuss the balancing act between music, family, school and fun. // Feb. 29; 8 p.m.; George Mason University’s Center for the Arts: 4373 Mason Pond Drive, Fairfax; $34-$53
2. Known for rowdy, true-to-her-roots music, Tanya Tucker is a cornerstone of country music. And this month, fans can experience songs new and old for one night only at The Barns at Wolf Trap. Here, she talks about her first album in 17 years, While I’m Livin’, touring and more. // Feb. 5; 7:30 p.m.; The Barns at Wolf Trap: 1635 Trap Road, Vienna; $47-$67
3. Grab your wand and broomstick and fly over to Tucked Away Brewing Company for a magical Harry Potter Movie Night. Fill up on butterbeer and bertie botts as you watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One (Feb. 6) and Part Two (Feb. 13) on the big screen. // Feb. 6 & 13; 6-9 p.m.; Tucked Away Brewing Company: 8420 Kao Circle, Manassas; free
4. Enjoy a night of dancing with the spectacular performance, Flamenco Vivo/Carlota Santana, at The Alden. Guests will be immersed in Latino heritage through beautiful music and flamenco dancing. // Feb 8; 7 p.m.; The Alden: 1234 Ingleside Ave., McLean; $30-$40
5. Witness the inner workings of everyday objects at photographer Todd McLellan’s Things Come Apart exhibition. Investigate the more than 40 images of disassembled products, from bikes and clocks to power drills and iPhones. // Feb. 15-May 10; Museum of the Shenandoah Valley: 901 Amherst St., Winchester; free
6. Head over to Tuscarora Mill for the restaurant’s Meet the Winemaker Dinner with Doug Fabbioli. Guests will enjoy a delectable six-course dinner paired with wines from Fabbioli Cellars as they discuss the Virginia wine movement with the leader himself. // Feb. 19; 7 p.m.; Tuscarora Mill: 203 Harrison St., Leesburg; $110
7. Help out a good cause at the eighth annual Canstruction competition. View the Viva Las Vegas-themed can sculptures created by local teachers, students, architects and more. The money and food donated during this event goes toward the Fredericksburg Regional Food Bank. // Feb. 13-24; Spotsylvania Towne Centre: 137 Spotsylvania Mall Drive, Fredericksburg; free
8. Grease is the word! Travel back to Rydell High with the Riverside Center for the Performing Arts’ rendition of Grease. Dream of “Summer Nights” as you sing along to those classic hits with the Pink Ladies and T-Birds, including “Greased Lightnin’,” “You’re The One That I Want” and “We Go Together.” // through March 15; Riverside Center for the Performing Arts: 95 Riverside Parkway, Fredericksburg; $37-$72
9. Playwright, actress and director Dani Stoller calls her latest work, Easy Women Smoking Loose Cigarettes, a love letter to her mother. This month, the comedy will make its world premiere at Signature Theatre and here, Stoller tells us all about it. // Feb. 18-March 29, Signature Theatre: 4200 Campbell Ave., Arlington; $40-$96
10. No job’s too big! No pup’s too small! Paw Patrol Live! Race to the Rescue is on the call! Take your kiddos to EagleBank Arena to see their favorite group of pups search for missing Mayor Goodway during the Great Adventure Bay Race. // Feb. 1 & 2; EagleBank Arena: 4500 Patriot Circle, Fairfax; $25-$180
11. This time, the kids are in charge at the seventh annual Kid Expo. Bring your little ones along for a day of fun as they feed the butterflies, play instruments and burn off extra energy playing on the inflatables. And don’t forget to sign your kids up for one of the dozens of extracurricular clubs and classes for the upcoming year. // Feb. 8 & 9; Fredericksburg Expo & Conference Center: 2371 Carl D. Silver Parkway, Fredericksburg; $2-$8
12. Northern Virginia native Maggie Miles joins alternative rock band Secondhand Sound for an unforgettable night at Jammin Java. The 20-year-old combines inspiration from ’70s and ’80s rock with vocal cues from Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson to create her own unique sound. // Feb. 12; 7:30 p.m.; Jammin Java: 227 Maple Ave. E., Vienna; $5
13. From annual galas to an outdoor celebration, here’s how to celebrate George Washington’s 288th birthday around the NoVA region.
14. Trade in your legs for fins and transform into Ariel at MerMagic Con. Participants can sign up for various classes, workshops and programming that include making your own mercessories, safe breath holding and underwater photo shoots. // Feb. 21-23; Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center: 9100 Freedom Center Blvd., Manassas; $25-$499
15. Give into your sweet tooth at the 33rd Annual YMCA Chocolates Galore & More celebration. Sample delicious treats from the area’s best chefs and bakers as you dance, drink and support the Loudoun County YMCA. // Feb. 28; 7-11 p.m.; Lansdowne Resort and Spa: 44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg; $70
16. Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo! The Virginia National Ballet: Cinderella is coming to Manassas. Follow along as the company transforms the beloved world of Cinderella into a magical ballet performance. // Feb. 15; 2 & 6:30 p.m.; Hylton Performing Arts Center: 10960 George Mason Circle, Manassas; $45
17. Check out Replay and Reshuffle: Paintings by Kyujin Lee at the McLean Project for the Arts before it’s gone. Lee uses surrealist automatism within the fairy tale world to explore dreams, identity and personal transformation. // through Feb. 29; McLean Project for the Arts: 1234 Ingleside Ave., McLean; mpaart.org; free
18. The ever-talented Michael Ian Black and his hilarious comedy show is making its way to Arlington. The comedian has been featured in a variety of shows and movies including, Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, This is 40 and his comedy special Very Famous. // Feb. 28 & 29; Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse: 2903 Columbia Pike, Arlington; $25
19. Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday this year. Want to feel the love all weekend long? Here’s where to go for fun-filled plans this holiday.